Saturday 21 March 2009

Mum's Mother's Day Card

Well I am sure most of us are aware that tomorrow (in the UK) it is Mother's Day and as I am fortunate to still have my Mum around this is the card that she will be receiving tomorrow.

I nearly always make Mum a big card as somehow I feel that it is more 'special' so this one is 20x20cm. The stamps are all by Magenta and can be obtained from The Stamp Man. I coloured all the imagery using Coloursoft pencils, paper stumps and Sansador all of which I bought from The Craft Barn. I must say that I am really pleased with the results I get colouring with these products as the colours blend seamlesssly together. I'm afraid that I had to buy the largest tin (72 pencils) so it was quite an expense but definitely a worthwhile one. The pencils are absolutely fantastic to use when colouring anything created by nature i.e. birds, animals, country scenes, flowers etc... But I would say that I probably wouldn't use them on any very finely detailed imagery as trying to blend colours (even with the smallest paper stump) on a tiny area would be quite difficult. For the imagery above though they were perfect.

The zigzag borders I drew by hand with a fine black Millenium pen (which I got from Stamp Addicts) and used this too for writing the wording and letters. The background was stamped with Versamark Champagne inkpad and embossed with Fine Detail Clear embossing powder (from The Stamp Man) for the pink and light green panels and just stamped and allowed to air dry for the dark green panel. The Coloursoft pencils were then used to add some colour to the leaves.

The flower embellishments I have blatantly copied from Debbie (http://pinkpoppycraftbox.blogspot.com/) but I had asked her permission first!! If you hop on over to her blog you'll see that she uses her retro flower punches to create her flower embellishments but as I don't own any of these yet(!), I used some different flower punches and then like Debbie does, I used a white opaque pen by Ranger Inkssentials to add the dots around the edges to add interest.

As you can see, being as this was a special card I went ahead and decorated the inside too. I only ever do this for my parents as I just don't get the time to do it on a daily basis! The flower stamp is another one by Magenta and it was coloured again with the Coloursoft pencils, paper stumps and Sansador. Diamond glitter glue was added to these flowers and also the ones on the front of the card in order to add some subtle sparkle. Being that this was such a large card I had to use two 12x12 background papers for the inside of the card by My Minds Eye which I purchased from The Glitter Pot.
Then lastly I had to make a box for the card to go in, as I didn't have an envelope the right size. This I stamped and embossed using the Versamark Champagne inkpad and Fine Detail Clear embossing powder and then coloured the leaves with a Colour
soft pencil. The matching gift card was made with yet another Magenta stamp.
So this is what my Mum will be receiving tomorrow! Just don't let her know that you saw it first!!
Keep a look out for the July issue of Craft Stamper for some more cards using these stamps.

2 comments:

Daisy Chain said...

Hi Kay. what a stunning card. I love the colour combination. You're Mum will love it I'm sure.

It's great that you used my flower idea for such a special card, and thanks for giving me a mention, I appreciate it. I only wish I still had my Mum with me, she passed away ten years ago, and I really miss her. She never ever got to see my card making skills, and I would have loved to have made something really special for her too.

Hope your Mum has a happy day.

Take care,

Hugs Debbie xx

Sandra said...

Fab card Kay. I love how you have made a 'special' larger card for your Mum. Bet she'll be thrilled with it.
Hugs
Sandra xx